MOOCS Report 2
Online
teaching has evolved so much that the benefits of it are endless. It provides
the opportunity of having digital libraries and resources like on Sakai,
multimedia resources, interactive simulations and virtual labs.
The
Massive Open Online Course is an avenue for which one can find a vast range of
courses to choose from and on which one can enroll in any course, all from the
comfort of any location that the student finds himself.
This
report is on my very first MOOCs experience.
·
The
background to your MOOC selection-
I started working in
education in January, 2021 from a finance background. A lot of things I have
learnt in my line of work these three years have been very interesting to
especially the broad spectrum of special needs children I have met. The
preschool I manage is not an inclusive institution, however, we had to admit an
autistic child who had two of his siblings already in our school. He is an
enigma to me and I am determined to make his stay with us the very best.
This
led me to participate in an online course with the University of Cape Town called Disability Inclusion in Education:
Building Systems of Support. The course is being spearheaded by Judith
McKenzie, an Associate Professor at the University.
·
Major
learning outcomes-
o To use disability inclusion
principles to describe the support needs of learners with disabilities.
o To identify the systemic support
structures available to teachers within the education system.
o To recognise the impairment
specific support needs of learners with disabilities.
Unfortunately, due to how strenuously the Sandwich Masters in
Education was, I was only able to participate in the introductory Module of the
course.
·
The learning materials used (eg.,
readings, videos, audios, websites, etc)- The course
uses a lot of video in conveying the course. There is a notes option which
helps the students to capture parts of the video or highlight parts of the
transcript of the video and save. The types of videos are different such as conceptual,
research, and direct experiences of teachers and people with disabilities.
§ The specific assignments, quizzes
and projects you participated in- Week
1 had three quizzes; two 30-miniutes practice quizzes and ended with a 45-minute
quiz. I did not feel adequately prepared
enough to try the practice questions.
Unfortunately, because I was unable
to fully commit to the course and finish it due to the other learning processes
I had going one. So I would be unable to do an analysis of the Iron Triangle.
The Learning Outcomes for the
course will definitely be achieved as we have completed our second exams cycle.
This is a course I am particularly interested in and I intended to finish it.
Comments
Post a Comment